Written by Mark
Saturday, 18 December 2010 00:00
Chief John Pokorny reminds you to check all your illuminated decorations to make sure they are in good condition. Light strands that have frayed or cracked wires should be thrown away and replaced with UL-approved devices.
Outside cords should be approved for exterior uses and inside cords should not be placed under carpets or throw rugs.
Keep live Christmas trees watered frequently. Be aware of your tree’s life and when it becomes brittle, discontinue using the lights. Always turn off the lights when leaving your home. Select only fresh trees that are deep green in color and have a strong scent of pine. Trees should not lose their needles easily. Visit www.wvfd.com and watch a video clip and see how fast a tree burns.
Use extreme caution with holiday candles and all other open flames to ensure they are safe and will not set fire to nearby objects.
Fire fighter Dave Burns, owner of August West Chimney, said, “Make sure your fireplace is in good working order and the chimney is free from obstructions and creosote buildup. Christmas wrappings and tree branches are not to be burned in the fireplace. Their intense and rapid burning can cause chimney fires and flames to extend out of the firebox into your home.”
As always, check your carbon monoxide and smoke detectors to make sure they are in good working order. If you did not change the batteries when you changed your clocks in October, change them now.
For more information, visit www.wvfd.com or go to our Facebook Page, Weston Volunteer Fire Department.